Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Lately

For the past 2 weeks I have been in Cincinnati, OH helping my grandma (who I generally address as "gram") :^) clean out her house, have an estate sale and basically get her household stuff down to manageable size in the first steps of moving her out West. It has been no small task to wade through I-don't-know-how-many-years worth of stuff and help her scale down.
 My parents were out for the first part of the trip and have gone home. I'm just going to say that I have the most awesome parents!  God has really blessed me. Mom and I had (amidst the work) a lot of fun together sorting through stuff. And I will also say for the record that I have the coolest great-aunt in the world who works so tirelessly and pours out herself for us to make sure we were comfortable, fed and had laundry done. Oh, and not forgetting my favorite great-uncle, who I do believe is the most patient man in the world I have met. Ever. 
And Gram has been great too - it's a big step to have to face a lifetime of your things and decide what can stay and what needs to go. It takes a lot of courage to make a big step like this and I'm so proud of her for doing it. 
Sorting through the pictures and the Christmas and the jewelry and everything made me think of the passage from Matthew 6: 19-21 : Do not lay up for yourselves treasures in on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where  your treasure is, there your heart will be also." 
How easy it is to look at someone else's mess and judge their issues, but I feel God has used this time to remind me where my treasure is and how much to I store up the worldly goods - be they concrete or abstract- and ignore where my heart should be.

No comments: